Window Dressing

So, we got our windows replaced this week: nine new windows and two new storm doors.  I spent the day before the installation taking down curtains and moving furniture away from the windows. 

This massive hassle was compounded by having to double up on allergy pills (So! Much! Dust! because I am an exceedingly lazy housekeeper) and having to find a place to put all the stuff I moved out of the way of the workers. (Note to self: Go take the stuff I stashed in my car out of the trunk before it's time to get groceries tomorrow.) 

Plus, not having any curtains on the front windows meant there was no stopping the sunlight from reaching the kitchen and illuminating how much I have not been sweeping the floor or vacuuming the vents on the bottom of the fridge or wiping off the front of the oven. Ugh. 

I hate being in the house when any kind of repair people are there, so I made myself scarce soon after the work crew arrived. For the next seven hours, I . . . 

  • Took some books back to the library
  • Was complimented by the librarian on my "Talk Nerdy to Me" book bag
  • Bought a replacement carafe for the coffee maker for only $10 less  -- and thirty minutes more -- than I could have completely replaced the coffee maker (Had to drive all the way across town to a place that had the carafe in stock, as opposed to getting the same machine --on sale! -- at a store five minutes away.)
  • Got some ground coffee that I will probably not drink
  • Got a mocha at Starbucks 
  • Managed to spill some of my drink on my shirt
  • Debated whether I needed to add either of these sweatshirts to my wardrobe

  • sweatshirt with the slogan "Today has been cancelled. Go back to bed."

    Sweatshirt with the slogan "Hold on, let me overthink"

  • Picked up some ground beef because I forgot to set out the ground beef in the freezer to defrost and I had plans to make magic chili for dinner (It was supposed to be 1 pound of ground beef + 1 can of diced tomatoes + 1 can of Chili Magic, but I didn't like the way it looked so I added another can of diced tomatoes and a small can of tomato sauce. Came out okay.)  
  • Tried the new flavor of the week at Pav's (Verdict: Meh)
  • Discovered that my phone's camera could focus on the ice cream cone or the sign listing the ice cream flavor but not both at once

Strawberry French Toast ice cream cone at Pav's

Strawberry French Toast ice cream cone at Pav's



Eventually the installation was complete and the living room curtains were rehung. However, the vertical blinds and curtains from the upstairs bedrooms (which had to be at least thirty-five, maybe forty years old) got pitched. (I'd been babying the blinds because every time I touched them some other brittle piece of plastic would fall off. They basically disintegrated as soon as I started taking them down. The curtains were still in one piece, but kind of grubby/dusty and I didn't feel like taking them to be cleaned. They had a good life, but it's over.) We also decided to pitch the (not nearly as old) blinds in the TV room. Despite knowing for weeks that we were getting new windows, I hadn't looked into getting any replacement curtains. . . doh!

Sunlight through a new window


During my rambling around while the windows were installed, I found some possibilities for the upstairs bedrooms. I didn't realize in the store how . . . polyester they were, though. When the morning light hit them, they really . . . glistened. You can't get a good sense of it in this photo that I sent to my sister because I took it later in the afternoon, but I'm glad I saved my receipt. 

Two packages of polyester curtains

 
I might look around at a few other stores tomorrow to see if I like anything else better. At the very least, I need to find something simple that I can put downstairs, because my vintage Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles bed sheet -- while hilarious -- is, at best, a temporary solution.  

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle bedsheet repurposed as a curtain

Besides, I can't find my other TMNT sheet to use on the other window.

No comments:

Post a Comment