Resuming Old Habits

Thanks to the pandemic, I've been getting a lot of reading done. Most of it isn't worth talking about -- which is why I never leave reviews on Goodreads or Amazon, despite the many, many pleas that appear not only as suggestions from the sites/apps themselves but also as requests from the authors at the ends of the ebooks.  

Speaking of ebooks: I spent some of my Christmas money in 2019 on a Kindle Paperwhite.



I didn't really need it, but it was on sale and I was testing out a theory that I was ruining my eyesight by spending too much time looking at devices that have a backlight *cough* iPad *cough* and this e-ink display may be less strain on my eyeballs. After extensive research during 2020, I've decided that my eyeballs are probably in general decline overall, so who's to say whether the switch in devices has had that much effect either way.

Besides, from time to time I still go completely old school and get physical books. I was using physical books as a last resort, checking three library systems and Kindle Unlimited (also paid for with some Christmas money) for an electronic file before requesting an actual book from one of the aforementioned library systems. I think that's how I ended up with the hard copies of the mystery series I'm reading now, the Josie Prescott Antiques mysteries.

Josie Prescott Antiques mystery series


I'm fairly certain that I saw something somewhere promoting the newest title in the series. I like to start a series at the beginning, though, and then read straight through. I couldn't get all of the books in an electronic format, so I've been requesting them (three or four at a time)  to the local branch. 

However, since I set myself another annual reading goal in my Kindle (but not on Goodreads), I'm also checking out the Kindle editions when I can, just to get credit in my app. Yes, Amazon has gamified reading, and I'm a sucker for playing along. Taking positive reinforcement for my habit where I can get it, I guess.




No comments:

Post a Comment