Friday Timewaster: LIFE Magazine Photo Archives [Updated]

The LIFE archives have been available for about a month, but I haven't had a chance to poke around them too much until now.


Don't know what I'm talking about? Mashable writes it up better than I can:







At any rate, I could look at this stuff for ages. Fascinating!


UPDATE

How did I not know today was Repeal Day?!

I'm prepared, though: I have a six five-pack of the infamous Christmas Ale created by the geniuses at Great Lakes Brewing Company in the trunk of my car. (I was taking it to a friend's yesterday, but now I'm thinking I'll keep it all. She over-indulged on Monday, apparently, and claims she can't drink anymore. Riiiight.)

Don't know what I'm talking about? Hit it, fellas!










Anyhow, when I was in MD/DC the other month, the guy from the Silver Spring historical society gave a walking tour of downtown. He described a photo was taken there the day Prohibition was repealed — people in party hats with noisemakers, waiting for the shipment of booze to arrive. I thought I'd look for similar photos in the LIFE archives, and found this image, which was taken in Cleveland.


Men atop beer delivery truck (w. sign reading BEER-WE HAVE IT-CALL HENDERSON 8030) hoist cases of beer triumphantly while man standing in front of truck drinks out of beer bottle following the repeal of Prohibition.
The unnecessary quotation marks on the signs crack me up. And if it's "beer" and not really beer, who cares?!





----------------
Now playing on iTunes: Journey - Lights
via FoxyTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment