Does Barry Manilow Know That You Raid His Wardrobe?

I accidentally saw the Breakfast Club at McCarthy's in the Flats a few years ago. I was there for a game watch party (OU-Pitt), and I think the band took the stage late in the fourth quarter. I was so giddy about OU winning, I stuck around a bit to watch the spectacle. It's like each member is dressed as a different '80s rocker; most notable is the one I like to call "Billy Idol" on lead vocals. There was an immediate crowd around the stage, mostly women dancing up a storm and singing along. I saw them at Brendan's maybe once or twice after that: same deal.

Monday night I was getting a sandwich at the deli across the street from my place, and there was a stray copy of Scene magazine on the counter. The cover story was about the Breakfast Club, and I had to check it out. The whole thing is hi-larious; read it here: What Would Journey Do?

Oh, and now actual '80s bands are turning into '80s cover bands: Poison has a whole album out of '80s cover songs . . . and a cover of Justin Timberlake's "SexyBack"! It's not completely terrible, I guess: "What I Like about You" comes out okay. I'm not getting the album, though, because I hate the original versions of at least a quarter of the songs: "We're an American Band," "Little Willie," "Squeeze Box," "Your Mama Don't Dance" — ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment