Almost Back to What We Might Consider Normal

Had a lovely dinner tonight with eight other people from one of my OU alumni clubs. It was great not only to see them face to face, but also to sit shoulder to shoulder in a restaurant! The last time some of us saw each other was via Zoom around Christmas, and before that it was a socially distanced picnic in the early fall. 

Almost the first thing we mentioned as we said hello was our various vaccine statuses. I'm *just* on the edge of being officially fully vaccinated, since it will be two weeks tomorrow since I got my second dose. All of my dining companions are older than me, so they had their shots earlier than I did.

A few of them even did some traveling this year. There are a few snowbirds who tend to spend a few months each winter in Florida, as well as a world traveler who, it seems, is always headed somewhere interesting. I think one of her trips to Europe had to be cancelled during the pandemic, but I'm sure she's working on rescheduling.

Despite the recent rapid shift in the CDC's guidance on masks, we still had to wear them as we went to and from our table. Most of the other tables were full; I'm trying to decide if they were spaced six feet apart. I've never been to the restaurant before, so I don't have a mental floor plan from "the before times" to compare with tonight's setup. 

The whole reason for getting together was to plan out our group's activities for the next year. I think we basically decided to try again with all of the events we had planned for 2020-21 that had to be scrapped: blueberry picking in July, a community service project in October, and a book discussion in March. Here's hoping we get to do all of those things, and that we'll meet again next May to make more plans. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment