This Week in Netflix: Volume 27

I finally got around to watching Street Kings around 3 a.m. — I've only had the disc for about two weeks already.

See, last night I was watching the Browns/Bills on TV and listening to the game on the radio. I dozed off way before halftime, only to wake up around 12:30 to listen to giddy sports reporters recap the Cleveland win. (You would think this game counted for two or something, they were that spaz.)

Anyhow, at that point I was awake and clicking around the dial. I watched my tape of the evening's episode of
Chuck, which was v. v. good, and then was momentarily entranced by the infomercial for The Midnight Special on DVD (Hmmm. I wonder if I can Netflix that? Gah. Apparently not. Boo!) before I remembered that I had the disc for Keanu's latest magnum opus already in the player, ready to go.

I had wanted to see it when it came out, but then it got pretty much universally panned and I couldn't convince anyone to drop actual cash on what amounted to a 109-minute wait for a "Whoa!" (Which, I think, never actually materializes. Bummer, dude.)

Maybe it was because I watched the movie with the director's commentary and subtitles, but I liked it. I like James Ellroy novels anyway, so perhaps reading his script and listening to the director's background info distracted me from what several critics deemed wooden performances by actors who were miscast.


I guessed some of the plot twists, but not all of them, and I enjoyed playing "Hey, It's That Guy!" (Although since the director was naming everyone as they appeared, it was kind of like cheating.) It was driving me crazy where I'd seen
Chris Evans before. I skimmed his IMDB entry, but I haven't seen any of those shows. Maybe I'm confusing him with some other generic blond dude, perhaps from The O.C.? Whatevs.






----------------
Now playing on iTunes: Aretha Franklin - At the Dark End of the Street
via FoxyTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment