Wednesday Timewaster: Music Intelligence Quiz



I was actually looking for new ways to kill time last Friday, and an e-mail from eMusic arrived, inviting me to take the Music Intelligence Quiz.



With 111 points, I just squeaked into the Mix-Tape Master category. There are a suspicious number of perfect scores, but I answered everything off the top of my head.

Mix-Tape Master (109-144 points)
You are a music evangelist: the person in your network of friends who always has the coolest new song, the one whose iPod gets picked to DJ every party. You understand the art of the segue, how the key to the best mix-tape isn't just the songs you pick, but how they interlock with each other. You also know who the up-and-coming acts are and are quick to recognize where their influences lie and whether they will make it big. You work hard at the pursuit of this knowledge, scouring music blogs, magazines and record stores. Most importantly, you are generous with your passion – and your friends should be very, very grateful. Still, it’s always good to get new inspiration for your latest mix.

I agree with "the key to the best mix-tape isn't just the songs you pick, but how they interlock with each other" but not so much with knowing who the up-and-coming acts are. I am fond of figuring out influences and soundalike songs/melodies, though.

I have to pick out some good CDs or iTunes playlists to take with me tomorrow. I'm taking a long weekend and doing a little road trip with my mom. (Read: She's tagging along while I go to a conference.)

If it were just me in the car, I would just cue up all the songs that help me drive fast and enjoy them at top volume. However, I don't want my mom to crab at me for speeding. (This from a woman who loves to announce that she can make it from Kenmore to Wadsworth in fifteen minutes — it's a little like making the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs.) (Oh, and I've been tipped off about a speed trap in a specific spot — the person who warned me got three tickets in the same place, so it sounds legit.)

Back to the music: I'm kind of tired of all the CDs I already have in the car, of course, so I'll have to swap those out for something awesome. I do have a gizmo that charges the iPod while broadcasting it over the radio, but it can be a pain to switch frequencies while driving. I did build a whole bunch of new playlists, though, and have some ideas for some new ones . . . Hmm.

First, though, I have to tie up some loose ends on a freelance project. Plus, I should really concentrate on bigger issues like, oh, I don't know, packing my clothes and checking the air in the tires.

Off to send a permission request, so I can check something off of my work to-do list before I leave ....

At least the Cavs game starts mondo early. I'm hoping they'll clinch tonight and get that out of the way.





----------------
Now playing on iTunes:
Stephen Kellogg & The Sixers - Blue Jean
via FoxyTunes






1 comment:

  1. Also off the top of my head:

    Your final score was 120/180

    Mix-Tape Master (109-144 points)

    Safe travels. Forgot my CDs so I will be at the mercy of Western New York radio. Think I will be able to get Hockey Night in Canada?

    ReplyDelete