This Week in Netflix: Volume 6

I've been a little preoccupied with balls lately: Basketball playoffs are in full effect, yo. Also, I managed to watch more than my recommended daily allowance of the NFL draft, and I've been squeezing in most of the Indians games. So, my movie watching has been limited to two this week: Brick and Happy, Texas.





I'd heard that Brick was great, and I liked it okay. It's more fun if you're familiar with film noir and hard-boiled detective stories, so you can figure out the slang and pick up on the classic plots and character types. It's a little odd to see modern teenagers speaking like characters from The Maltese Falcon, but I guess that's part of the charm.




Happy, Texas is just goofy. The plot is fairly predictable, but Steve Zahn and William H. Macy (one half of the infamous Filliam H. Muffman!) are a riot. I usually don't like to watch Ileana Douglas (her eyes kind of bug out), but I didn't mind her in this.

No comments:

Post a Comment