Chain of Fools
- Not good. It sounds like it should be fun, and then it just isn't.
- Lots of familiar faces in bit parts. It was more interesting to play Name That Actor: Jeff Goldblum! Elijah Wood! Salma Hayek! David Hyde Pierce! Craig Ferguson! A lot of people must have had some bills due.
- Steve Zahn was looking a little Seacrest-y. But maybe that was just me.
Pompatus of Love
- Overall: Meh. It's guys being freaked out about relationships and whatnot. Mostly I just wanted to tell them to get over it already. Although the Steve Miller Band playing in the background did make me think of freshman year of college. (We never really debated what "pompatus" was, though. We might have mocked rhyming "taxes" with "fact is," but everybody does that.)
- I kept trying to place who the other actors in this are. They look familiar, but they're not really famous and they're not really at the Hey! It's that guy! status, either. I did recognize most of the women right away, though. (Mia Sara: the girlfriend in Ferris Bueller's Day Off, one of my all-time faves; Kristen Scott Thomas: several things I've never actually seen, like The Horse Whisperer and Random Hearts)
- Jon Cryer's character in this is almost exactly like his character on 2.5 Men. Is he playing himself?
- Predicable rom-com, but enjoyable.
- I'm not a fan of Cameron Diaz, but Kate Winslet is okay and I heart Jack Black. Plus: John Krasinski has a small role! Squee!
- Contrary to some people's opinion, Jude Law is very pretty. I especially like it when he puts on his glasses and accentuates the resemblance between him and Michael Caine. Rowwr!
- This was solid stuff, compelling even if not completely surprising. I liked it, but not as much as I liked Deja Vu, which I saw while I was in Georgia a few months ago.
- Also featuring Denzel: Inside Man and Out of Time. I rented and liked both of those.
- All of Dakota Fanning's scenes made me think of the SNL sketch where Amy Poehler played Dakota and Drew Barrymore played Abigail Breslin (from Little Miss Sunshine). "I did a funny dance!" Heh.
- I'm not that much of a Bond fan (although I do love his cars), but I really liked the latest one.
- Especially cool (because I'm a nerd): the opening credit sequence.
- I didn't completely guess all the plot twists right away, so that made it more fun.