Book Report: Volume 19

I haven't been doing too much worth blogging about this summer, but here are a few comments on some stuff I've read lately.




A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1)A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin




A little like Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth and World Without End — a fantasy time period/location that feels vaguely similar to the England of the Middle Ages; a cast of dozens, following several generations of the same families; many evil characters whom you hope get their come-uppance ...

What does the grandpa say about The Princess Bride? It has everything: "Fencing. Fighting. Torture. Revenge. Giants. Monsters. Chases. Escapes. True love. Miracles."? That's pretty much true of A Game of Thrones.

Someone I know won't start reading sci-fi trilogies until the author has completely finished the series, but I decided to take the plunge anyway. I finished the first book over Easter weekend, and I've downloaded and read the second, third, and fourth books since then. I've downloaded the fifth book, but I'm trying to make it last because I know it's going to be a while before the next installment comes out.





View all my reviews



Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar ChildrenMiss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs




I was impressed. In junior high, I participated in a writing competition where you had to write short stories/essays based on randomly assigned scenarios/topics; this guy constructed an entire novel around a handful of strange photos.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment