This Is a Cross-Post, Not a Re-Post

I posted this on my Facebook page earlier, but then I realized that I had not yet posted anything over here today, so I did some fancy ctrl-c/ctrl-v'ing, and voila . . . but through the miracle of modern technology, this blog post is going to show up in my Facebook feed in about ten minutes. So, it's a good thing I don't have a Twitter account that also pushes content to my blog, because then I would have created some sort of perpetual motion machine announcing things that nobody but me cares about anyway in three different formats on a regular basis. (Hmmm. Web 3.0?)


Now that I've completely extinguished any flickering spark of interest, allow me to present the item in question:




I may have to ditch work tomorrow ...


Goodyear's Rubber Museum Is History

The World of Rubber was supposed to be a temporary exhibit. Seventy years later, the end has arrived.

Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. will close its Akron museum Friday after decades of declining attendance. It's the public's last chance to see the kitschy shrine on Goodyear Hall's fourth floor.

No more jungle huts. No more talking mannequins. No more moon tires. . . .

The Goodyear Hall exhibit originally was called the World's Fair of Rubber, an homage to the 1939 New York World's Fair.

''The exhibit is aimed to interest and instruct persons not connected with Goodyear or the rubber industry as well as for persons so connected,'' the Beacon Journal noted March 1, 1939.

''Included in the 50 exhibits that make up the 'fair' is a miniature rubber plantation, complete with real rubber trees, native tree tappers and a simulated native hut,'' the paper reported. . . .

Friday is the last day. Hours are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.





No comments:

Post a Comment