You know how you hear through the pop culture grapevine that something is awesome or horrible (or perhaps horribly awesome or awesomely horrible), and then you experience it for yourself and realize that everyone else was right?
That was kind of my experience with the Golden Throats series by Rhino. I had some vague impressions from the hive mind of how hilariously goofy it was, but no personal knowledge of its trainwrecky brilliance . . . until today.
I came across the original Golden Throats CD* at the library last night, and even though I forgot my card and my photo ID, the circulation clerks know me and let me check it out anyway. So, the dulcet tones of Jim Nabors interpreting the Stevie Wonder classic "You Are the Sunshine of My Life" ** are helping me get through the morning.
Some related sites to check out:
- Wikipedia > Golden Throats
- Bad Music > Golden Throats
- One Neat Thing a Day > Bad Things
(selection of Nimoy/Shatner music videos from YouTube)
- You Tube > Golden Throats
(every oddball celebrity music video on YouTube)
* Shatner and Nimoy get two tracks each on this disc, but I already have the ne plus ultra of the Star Trek stars' vocal outputs, Spaced Out: The Best of Leonard Nimoy and William Shatner, which I came across at Half Price Books a while back.
** Think of the whitest, most over-enunciating dude you ever saw audition for American Idol. Golly!
Now playing on iTunes: Leonard Nimoy - Proud Mary